With a hectic schedule packed full of meetings, playdates, chauffeuring the kids, and prepping meals, when does a mom have time to exercise, eat right, and focus on her mental health? While it can be difficult to balance a busy life and incorporate healthy habits, never fear– it is attainable! When you become a mom, it’s important to stay healthy– after all, you have no days off from this job and there are plenty of people counting on you! Here are some ways I’ve incorporated healthy habits into my lifestyle as a mom.
- Eat organic, wholesome meals — I try to make sure to include a variety of fruits and vegetables into my diet. By taking measures to limit overly processed foods in my diet, I’ve found that I feel better and more energized when I make healthier food choices.
- Spend quality time with my kids — Their active energy truly is contagious! On the weekends, I try to spend as much time as possible doing things with my kids. Depending on the weather, we have play time indoors or outdoors and also schedule different types of family activities (like apple picking in September, sledding during the winter months, etc.) This keeps us active and bonding as a family– a win win!
- Do yoga or meditation — Usually on Fridays after a long week, I head over to meditation class for an hour. I also like to take an hour to attend a yoga class close to home, depending on how much time I have on a Saturday morning. Just finding an hour to focus on my wellness makes all the difference.
- Visit family — I try to stay connected to my parents and sister as much as possible, whether it’s on the phone or by visiting them for a few hours. Being around my loved ones, the people who know me the best, allows me to relax, vent if I need to, and catch up on what’s happening in their lives.
- Spend time with my significant other (SO) — Although this proves to be very difficult with our hectic schedules, we try to squeeze in some alone time when we can. Sometimes it’s a full-on date night, but other nights it’s as simple as watching a movie together on the couch.
- Have a girls night out or plan events with friends — Whether it’s going out to dinner or grabbing a coffee, I like to make some time to go out with my girlfriends and talk about everything under the sun. During the summer, my SO and I like to plan group events with family/friends like rafting, going to the beach, camping, etc.
- Catch up on health news — Reading articles and learning about the benefits of whole foods and the healing powers of foods keeps my healthy habits on track. Following junk food accounts online will make you crave junk food. Following healthy accounts and reading fitness and health sites inspires me to keep living a healthy lifestyle, especially on days where I get off track. I also like to read about the latest fashion trends – something that has also always been of interest to me.
These are just some of the ways I motivate myself to live a healthy lifestyle. Most importantly, if and when you have off days (you’re human! It happens!), just remember tomorrow is a new day to get back on track and take care of yourself. What are some of your tips and tricks for being a healthy mom?